My Website » Blog

Masthead header
My Website bio picture
  • Hello There!

I'm Sarajane, a blogger and photographer based out of Asheville, NC.

On this blog you can find stories from my life, my thoughts on the world,
    and photos of some pretty fantastic people!

Grab a cup of coffee (or bourbon) and make yourself at home!
    Don't forget to leave a comment and let me know you were here.

with love,

Meet Tommy.

Mountain goat. Vision-quester. life-student. father. climber. looker. listener. lover. seeker. communicator. charmer.

To see more from the black and white series, check it out here.

5 Things I Learned from Being a Tourist in my Hometown.

I have to admit that I haven’t always had the best relationship with tourists. Our dynamic takes the darkest turn when I’m driving down wall st. I like to joke that the floating man that sets up on the corner there is my nemesis, watching people congregate around him standing in the middle of the road, making it impossible for me to exit the street feels like a personal attack on the well-being of my day.  It wouldn’t be shocking to see me honk my horn gently to alert them of the giant inconvenience that it is to try and navigate the roads around them.

That being said, I like to pride myself on being someone who can see things from every perspective. After all, aren’t I the glowing eyed tourist taking my sweet time crossing the street because everything feels too whimsical to move quickly when I’m traveling? Spoiler alert: I totally am.
I think most people remember the way it felt to fall in love with this city for the first time. Having grown up here, I think I took it for granted. I never had the feeling of enchantment, not in the same way at least. I wanted to try and see and recreate that first time feeling. To look at this city with fresh eyes.
So, I decided to live a few days in asheville as though I were here on vacation. I spent two nights in the absolutely dreamy Sweet Peas Hostel and this is what I learned…

View full post »

Product & Social Media Photography

I take on a limited number of product & social media photography clients each month. Hire me to take photos of your amazing creations for your website or use on social media! Check out my contact page for more info!

Meet Katie.

congenial. mysterious benefactor. seeker. listener. deconstructionist. northern lights. cartographer. dabbler. accelerator. dream-supporter.

To see more from the black and white series, check it out here.

On the Waking Life Debacle.

To be honest, I wanted to write about anything other than Waking Life Espresso today. But, my mind is racked with thoughts of them and I can’t seem to shake all of the nuances of the way I’m feeling. So, that brings me here.

(For those unfamiliar with the Waking Life debacle, a pair of local coffee shop owners have been running a horrible podcast, blog and twitter account that is degrading to women, people of different races, sexual orientation and more. You can read about it here or here.)

View full post »

Kim Forman - September 21, 2015 - 7:39 pm

Thank you for sharing this beautiful post. <3

Cecilia Giselle Payseur - September 21, 2015 - 8:45 pm

Somehow I found this post and I’m so glad I did. It spoke to me in an important way, as it will to many. Thank you for writing… you are wonderful.

Jeff Arrington - September 21, 2015 - 8:54 pm

You have a beautiful soul.. thank you for sharing it.

Diana Valeryevna Mnatsakanyan - September 21, 2015 - 10:07 pm

this is so, so good. thank you for sharing your thoughts and a little of your journey. yes to all of this.

Taleese Morrill - September 21, 2015 - 10:14 pm

I don’t know you personally but I’ve seen you around town from time to time and often feel like we know many of the same people (though, that’s Asheville). Someone posted this on fb and I’m so glad to have to read it. This is lovely and wonderful and what most everyone needs to hear and know much more than we do. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Susannah Kay - September 21, 2015 - 10:43 pm

Lauren Schumacher Ray - September 21, 2015 - 11:49 pm

Tears reading this. So beautifully sorted. And concise, but expansive. I needed this.

Jacquie Hammond - September 22, 2015 - 12:45 am

Thank you so much… I was walking around town today looking at the men on the streets thinking “is he like them?” ” is he judging me?”it’d not about them, its about me.

Paige Houghton - September 22, 2015 - 12:47 am

Amazing post.

Robert Fishburne - September 22, 2015 - 1:15 am

See, as a guy, I’m allowed to get emotional. In fact, I’m outright encouraged to embrace anger and lust as my only two emotions. Still haven’t gotten the hang of the latter, but the former? Oh boy did these guys bring out that in me, so I wrote my first-ever hatchet job about it. I’ve probably pimped it enough, but if anyone wants to read let me know. It was very cathartic, and this was before some of the podcast content was revealed.

Michael Rhodes - September 22, 2015 - 4:38 am

The most thoughtful comments on this that I’ve seen. Much love

Pamela Daly - September 22, 2015 - 12:42 pm

Thank you SJ, for your eloquent words. I stopped myself from pouring over all their garbage because I knew it would be too painful and disturbing to take in. I have always struggled with body image, as nearly all women do, but now at the age of 38, I have really been accepting of myself so much more, and, actually, seeing the beauty in my “flaws”. I am so proud of Asheville for how we have risen up and taken a stand here. And by the way, we met at WL a few months ago, and you helped me call AAA when my keys and phone were locked in my car. I could tell how kind of a person you were. Thanks again. You have a beautiful soul.

Thalia Morris - September 22, 2015 - 12:59 pm

Thank you Sarajane. I HAD to see your picture and was shocked as I usally am when I see a beautiful woman who’s struggled with body issues. I’m an “older” reader and during my lifetime I’ve meet very few women without body issues. Your thoughts are powerful and inspiring. Be well~~

Angie Younger - September 22, 2015 - 1:42 pm

Beautifully written.

Fern Webb - September 22, 2015 - 6:30 pm

Beautiful post. Thank you for saying these things.

Greg Miller - September 22, 2015 - 7:08 pm

Thank you SJ. You always share with such authenticity and compassion, even on subjects as raw and difficult as this one. You are very well appreciated.

Sarah E Becker - September 23, 2015 - 2:10 pm

This is so well written and I can totally connect with everything you’ve voiced here.. Thank you for your strength and willingness to speak up about this injustice!

Emma Kaye - September 23, 2015 - 3:12 pm

wow, seriously, with everyone just bashing those guys (and rightfully so) it was so nice to hear someone with a different view and reading this just made my day. thank you for sharing.

Meredith Neale - September 23, 2015 - 11:55 pm

Your comment “Women, we are so powerful that men have spent their entire adults lives trying to figure out how to manipulate us enough to be close to us” was so POWERFUL!
Thank you! What an Important thing to hear whether it’s the first time or just a reminder.
Wonderful article…..I am so grateful you took the time to write this ❤️

Martha Harris - September 24, 2015 - 6:04 am

thank you for speaking what is in my heart. Before reading your blog post, I was so troubled and triggered by the formerly secret content that had been revealed. How many people will be more reluctant to trust in general after learning of the secret lives/characters of these men who presented themselves so differently in person? How many people working on body self-acceptance will be set back by this… By learning that underneath a seemingly safe environment lurked the same hateful body shaming so prevalent in our culture? Your post helps put me back on track in my journey to self-acceptance and to love of self and others exactly as we are.

Sierra Garrett Hollister - September 24, 2015 - 4:09 pm

this is so incredible. thank you for sharing your perspective. and just for the record ~ not only are you beautiful and worthy of love, you are extraordinary <3

Alissa Coddington Hill - September 25, 2015 - 1:24 am

Beautifully written! I’m proud of you sister! Miss and love ❤️

sarajanecase - September 26, 2015 - 4:42 pm

Thank you so much!

sarajanecase - September 26, 2015 - 4:42 pm

Aw, thank you! Same to you!

sarajanecase - September 26, 2015 - 4:43 pm

I have so many of the same thoughts. I keep trying to remind myself that we are so much more than this and that their viewpoints are their problem. Some days I believe it and some days I don’t.

sarajanecase - September 26, 2015 - 4:44 pm

Thank YOU!

sarajanecase - September 26, 2015 - 4:44 pm

Thank you for taking the time to write that! Appreciate you!

sarajanecase - September 26, 2015 - 4:44 pm

Thank you, you beautiful being!

Stu Helm & Chef Joe Scully: AVL Food Fans Podcast Episode 8 – “A Bitter Pill” | stuhelmfoodfan - September 30, 2015 - 8:20 pm

[…] Sarajane is a local writer, blogger, coffee lover, bon vivant, and a fellow Food Fan, and if you haven’t read her blog piece on Waking Life, you can do so by clicking this HERE. […]

Crystal Stephenson - October 5, 2015 - 4:36 am

How absolutely beautifully said. You were a year younger than me in high school, and I always thought you were extraordinarily beautiful….your smile, upbeat personality, and that gorgeous red hair. So nice to have found your blog!

M o r e   i n f o